[BlueOnyx:19495] Re: The Web Server is not running and can not be restarted

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Apr 20 02:36:14 -05 2016

Hi NETgemacht,

> No space left on device: Cannot create SSLMutex

Right. I recall this problem from the time when the BlueOnyx YUM
repositories were still using the Apache webserver (now Varnish + Nginx).

Frequently our Apache would throw the same error message and couldn't be
restarted. This is basically Apache leaving a bunch of stray semaphore
sets lying around after an attempted restart of apache. A semaphore in
simple terms, is a lock on an operation. Apache has a habit of doing
that on very active servers.

This webpage gives some explanation about the SSLMutext stuff:

http://outofcontrol.ca/blog/comments/apache-no-space-left-on-device-cannot-create-sslmutex

It lists running this command as fix:

ipcs -s | grep apache | awk ' { print $2 } ' | xargs -n 1 ipcrm -s

Which usually works. If you choose to run this as a cronjob: It will
also kill a running Apache and AdmServ, so you will need to restart both.