[BlueOnyx:19500] Downgrading a Server Admin

Tigerwolf tigerwolf at tigerden.com
Fri Apr 22 11:34:53 -05 2016

Years ago we built a server which contained several sites, all owned and
controlled by one person whose account was created as a server admin.
Since then other vsites (owned by others) have been added to the machine.
Also, over time, the content of the several vsites owned by the designated
server admin were consolidated into just one vsite.  So now it makes sense
that the original server admin account be downgraded and have them become
a site admin under the one vsite they now own.

Is there a (easy) way to change them from server admin to a vsite
user/admin and still retain all of their mail, personal files, etc?
(i.e. NOT just deleting the user, then re-creating them as a vsite admin)
I'm assuming this is not a task that CMU would handle.

A not so easy, but possibly workable way I thought of is:
   - Archive the server admin's home dir and any 'stray' files they own
     elsewhere on the machine.
   - Chown archives to 'root' and put it all where it won't get deleted.
   - Delete the server admin's user account with GUI.
   - Recreate the account as a vsite user/admin with GUI
   - Adjust quota in GUI to accommodate what files they had before.
   - Set other GUI settings for site admin as appropriate.
   - Un-archive the user's old home dir into their new home dir.
   - Un-archive any user's old 'stray' files as might be necessary.
   - Chown any old files to the new user since UID number likely has
     changed (or manually change the new UID number back to the owner's
     original number ? )
   - Make sure quotas are sane and updated.

I tried this with a made-up test case, and it seemed to work OK, but I
don't know (and worry about!) what might be lurking inside the GUI CCED
database that might cause issues later on.

Any insight would be appreciated.

--
=^_^=  Tigerwolf