[BlueOnyx:19176] Re: 5107/5108 Hyper-V image fresh install results in 40GB ?

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Tue Feb 23 09:36:47 -05 2016

On 2/23/2016 6:30 AM, Greg Kuhnert wrote:
> The only certain thing about our world is that things will not be the same in the future. Change is inevitable. As the borg say, Resistance is futile. You are trying to stay on an older product to avoid change. Wind the clock forward a few years. 5207 and 5208 will be retired one day. What will you do then? Why not avoid that decision (and the migration to 5209) …. and get the pain out of the way now. It will be a smarter decision in the long run.

Agreed.   As long as we're deciding how Jim should run his business
(tongue in cheek!) I'd offer that there are 2 main options available to
Jim at this point:

#1) Proceed with the system-wide upgrade to 5209R, shiny new webmail for
the customers, and understand there will be some short-term discomfort,
but that will quickly give way.

#2) Stay in the past (for now) with the migration, but make immediate
plans to ditch the old and move to the new.   This, of course, is going
to prolong the pain for both service provider and users.  So I'm with
Greg & Michael A. here and recommend just ripping off the band-aid at
get on with it.

If you DO decide to go with #2 above, stop wasting your time with
installing obsolete OS and CMU migration.  Move your old 510X boxes with
a P2V migration.   (Assuming they're physical installations to begin
with... otherwise, why wouldn't you just move the virtual?)

Pretty much every decent virtualization platform offers one.   I don't
deal with HyperV at all but everything else I have worked with offers
some sort of P2V option.

VMware has a relatively painless tool, and if you were to go with
Aventurin{e} for virtualization (which is, BTW, orders of magnitude more
efficient than HyperV or even VMware for that matter) then I would be
willing to bet you could gain access to some secret sauce that makes it
fairly straight-forward to move from a standalone BlueOnyx to virtualized.

Understanding that your time in which you need to make a decision and
take action is somewhat limited, I'd give some thought to the above.
Since we own our datacenter we don't often run into a time crunch like
you're in, but we have helped numerous customers out of a bind when they
find themselves unable to continue operations in an outgoing facility or
old hardware for whatever reason.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services