[BlueOnyx:18925] Failed to start Berkely Internet Name Domain (DNS)

Tom wcstaff at webcoast.com
Wed Jan 6 08:24:54 -05 2016

This morning some time around 1:30am EST, I received this error message
and no longer had any DNS and could not resolve to the domains on the
box. All domains and email were down. I rebooted the server but it did
not resolve.

I received the following when running "systemctl status named-chroot -
l":
"Failed to start Berkely Internet Name Domain (DNS)
Unit Named.Service entered failed state. Name.Service failed"

 So I executed "systemctl restart named-chroot". The DNS server started
and I can reach the domains and email is working.

Now when running "systemctl status named-chroot -l", I receive the
following:
named-chroot.service - Berkeley Internet Name Domain (DNS)
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/named-chroot.service;
enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: active (running) since Wed 2016-01-06 07:59:32 EST; 15min ago
  Process: 4782 ExecStop=/bin/sh -c /usr/sbin/rndc stop > /dev/null 2>&1
|| /bin/kill -TERM $MAINPID (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 4862 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/named -u named -t /var/named/chroot
$OPTIONS (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 4863 (named)
   CGroup: /system.slice/named-chroot.service
           └─4863 /usr/sbin/named -u named -t /var/named/chroot

If I reboot, it goes back to failed status.

I had a similar issue a month or so ago. The problem was, when re-
booting it was executing"systemctl start named" instead of "systemctl
start named-chroot". I remember Michael saying a change was made in the
new OS or settings where executing "named-chroot" instead of "named"
what now the proper format.
What needs to be changed, so if a re-boot is initiated, it properly
executes?
Thanks in advance
Tom