[BlueOnyx:18961] Certificates for sendmail not working with intermediate cert

Christoph Schneeberger cschnee at box.telemedia.ch
Tue Jan 12 07:34:31 -05 2016

Hi,

I am currently preparing a mailhost based on 5208R that needs to have a
validated certificate for SMTP.

I purchased an alphassl certificate and installed it with the respective
intermediate via the control panel under the server directly.

After that the certificate was indeed used for smtp connections but it
did not use the intermediate in sendmail so it was on an unvalidated chain.
What I needed to do to make it use the intermediate was to append it to
/usr/share/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt with
openssl x509 -in /etc/admserv/certs/ca-certs -text -noout >>
/usr/share/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt; cat /etc/admserv/certs/ca-certs >>
/usr/share/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt; /etc/init.d/sendmail restart

Is there another way how this should be done or is this functionality
just missing ?

Cheers,
Christoph