[BlueOnyx:19846] Re: hostname changed on 5209R?

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sat Jul 16 12:46:24 -05 2016

Hi Robert,

> I found a 5209R had stopped backing up using Solbackup and the reason
> was that the hostname changed. It went from the FQDN (www5.webtent.net)
> to just the host name (www5) and the FTP storage was failing due to not
> being able to find the directory. I looked at the /etc/hosts file and
> see the columns in it were reversed

It's actually the other way around: On older boxes the entries in
/etc/hosts were reversed and we eventually corrected this. Like half a
year ago.

On 5209R the reported hostname isn't inherited from /etc/hosts. On
Systemd boxes you actually need to set the bloody hostname with a
separate command:

/usr/bin/hostnamectl set-hostname <hostname>