[BlueOnyx:20086] Re: GUI replacing localhost with 127.0.0.1

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Sep 8 18:57:59 -05 2016

Hi Dan,

> I *think* it's the GUI that is replacing localhost with 127.0.0.1.
>
> Not a huge issue except for MySQL.  Customers are complaining that they
> can't setup sites with the MySQL details for new sites.

Yes, the GUI does it intentionally. With 5209R we do have the persistent
problem that IPv6 is enabled by default. On older BlueOnyx we turned it
off entirely. On 5209R it's not that simple.

This leads to some interesting problems such as this:

[root at 5209r bin]# telnet localhost 25
Trying ::1...
telnet: connect to address ::1: Connection refused
Trying 127.0.0.1...
telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused

And this entirely depends on /etc/hosts. If your /etc/hosts has any
incorrect or corrupted info what IP localhost should be, then MariaDB
connections of anything that tries to connect to "localhost" (instead of
the localhost-ip) will fail.

Hence I consider it safer and better if the GUI rewrites the MySQL
connection details from localhost to 127.0.0.1 instead.