[BlueOnyx:20925] Re: The network interface eth0 is down

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Wed Apr 19 11:27:45 -05 2017

On 4/19/2017 10:03 AM, Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
> Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet wrote:
>> KVM has not traditionally been the best environment for BlueOnyx, but it
>> should be able to work OK.
>
> I found KVM to be a very good VM host. What do you recommend? We also
> run FreeBSD and other Linux VMs. I've been contemplating a migration to
> OpenNebula and have it running on a couple of dev servers.

At the risk of both thread drift and espousing personal opinions (yeah,
everyone's got one!)....

If you are running a platform other than Linux, then KVM can be your
friend. We use VMware for that application as there are various other
management tools available that are useful to us as a service provider,
and we're not afraid of licensing costs for those benefits when
reasonable.   Comparatively, we found that KVM works, but is nowhere
near as refined or elegant.  Both KVM and VMware can suffer a bit from
the "jack of all trades, master of none" syndrome, but overall we just
find VMware the superior (albeit more expensive) choice. If we're
running Windows or *BSD (virtualized pfSense, for instance), that's our
platform.

For virtualizing BlueOnyx, we are big fans of Aventurin{e}
(http://www.aventurin.net), which is the sister project to BlueOnyx.
It uses OpenVZ as the underlying virtualization engine, and overlays the
GUI that would be familiar to any BlueOnyx user.  We use this
exclusively now for new BlueOnyx VMs as well as various other Linux
distros.   It's extremely lightweight which allows a lot of bang for the
buck in terms of the number of guests you can run on given hardware.  In
addition, there's a fairly well-developed API available so we can tie it
into our billing & client management systems.   Automated
setup/teardown, customer-initiated reboots & backups, etc are all possible.

>> On the vsites that are not coming up as aliases, what comes up?
>> Anything, or host not found? If it's a host not found, then it's
>> probably a DNS issue you'll want to check on. If it's another website on
>> the server then go to the vsite config for the site with the alias
>> problem, pull out all the website aliases and save, then put them back
>> in and save again. See if that fixes it.
>
> The script Michael suggest was the fix.

Yes, indeed.   That's the automated method of doing the cut > save >
paste > save process I provided.   Had I been more diligent in my
morning coffee consumption, I might have suggested that.  ;)

Glad to hear it's working for you now.
--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services