[BlueOnyx:20927] Re: The network interface eth0 is down

Robert Fitzpatrick robert at webtent.org
Wed Apr 19 14:44:47 -05 2017

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet wrote:
> If you are running a platform other than Linux, then KVM can be your
> friend. We use VMware for that application as there are various other
> management tools available that are useful to us as a service provider,
> and we're not afraid of licensing costs for those benefits when
> reasonable.   Comparatively, we found that KVM works, but is nowhere
> near as refined or elegant.  Both KVM and VMware can suffer a bit from
> the "jack of all trades, master of none" syndrome, but overall we just
> find VMware the superior (albeit more expensive) choice. If we're
> running Windows or *BSD (virtualized pfSense, for instance), that's our
> platform.

Yeah, we migrated away from VMware ESXi to KVM, never did like the
Sphere client only available on Windows. With KVM, any API should be a
snap, I'm just not that big. With virsh command line and virt-manager,
at no cost, can do anything quickly from any Linux terminal. I remember
when VMWare "server" was built on top of the Linux OS, I liked it
better. Not saying ESXi crashed, I just like command line access to
everything you can do on a Linux box and ESXi didn't have. So glad it
had scp at least so I could migrate pretty easily.

> For virtualizing BlueOnyx, we are big fans of Aventurin{e}
> (http://www.aventurin.net), which is the sister project to BlueOnyx. It
> uses OpenVZ as the underlying virtualization engine, and overlays the
> GUI that would be familiar to any BlueOnyx user.  We use this
> exclusively now for new BlueOnyx VMs as well as various other Linux
> distros.   It's extremely lightweight which allows a lot of bang for the
> buck in terms of the number of guests you can run on given hardware.  In
> addition, there's a fairly well-developed API available so we can tie it
> into our billing & client management systems.   Automated
> setup/teardown, customer-initiated reboots & backups, etc are all possible.

I like one platform to run any OS I want to spin up. We have two Windows
VPSs that need to be supported and plenty of BSD as it is my own choice
for most utility work (db, postfix/SA/clamav, etc). Spread across 6 KVM
servers now, migration is easy if all the same.

--
Robert