[BlueOnyx:20926] Re: The network interface eth0 is down

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Apr 19 11:29:27 -05 2017

Hi Robert,

> I found KVM to be a very good VM host. What do you recommend? We also
> run FreeBSD and other Linux VMs. I've been contemplating a migration to
> OpenNebula and have it running on a couple of dev servers.

What's your experience with OpenNebula so far?

A lot of people are running BlueOnyx under OpenVZ such as our
Aventurin{e}. From the get go BlueOnyx was designed with OpenVZ in mind,
as that's what we've been running www.blueonyx.it and all development
in. That's aside from rolling up ISO's or testing the ISO installs,
which are performed in a different environment.

One of the benefits there is that OpenVZ has a very small overhead, so
you can pack a lot of VPS's onto the same hardware. Live migrations and
backups or snapshots of entire VPS's without downtime are also a big
plus. These certainly aren't unique OpenVZ features anymore as other
solutions have managed to catch up in the last +10 years, but they're
still very strong and well thought out features.

I also like that OpenVZ follows the traditional Linux philosophy that
everything is a file and should be 100% manageable from the CLI. Having
a GUI is naturally a big plus for the mundane day to day tasks, but
likewise it's very nice that GUI and shell management tools don't
conflict with each others and you can still use both without worries
that CLI usage would break GUI related stuff.

Even an utter worst case scenario (totally wrecked VPS and having no
good backups) is potentially recoverable under OpenVZ. Yet ideally one
naturally ought to have a backup, in which case a restore would take
just a few commands and mere minutes.

The latest OpenVZ (OpenVZ 7 on EL7) provides the same management tools
for both OpenVZ containers and KVM, so you can easily manage both with
the same toolkit. I'm still working on the development of Aventurin{e}
6109R (GUI for OpenVZ 7), but it went a bit onto the back burner as
OpenVZ 6 is still good enough and going strong.

As far as BlueOnyx is concerned: It should run pretty much anywhere, but
there are certainly some improvements possible to improve it's
integration into certain scenarios.