[BlueOnyx:20928] Re: The network interface eth0 is down

Robert Fitzpatrick robert at webtent.org
Wed Apr 19 14:54:10 -05 2017

Michael Stauber wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
>> I found KVM to be a very good VM host. What do you recommend? We also
>> run FreeBSD and other Linux VMs. I've been contemplating a migration to
>> OpenNebula and have it running on a couple of dev servers.
>
> What's your experience with OpenNebula so far?

Just started checking it out since I just had a couple of servers come
available to play with. I like browser based VNC :-)  Not sure if its
for me, I tried that network cluster storage before and never seen speed
near local SSD storage. Other features for other user management, etc,
all good. I'm really trying to see if it can help me setup Virtual
Networks with two different subnets from the data center. Never did
VLANs and want to try and isolate or clean things up in the switches. I
basically use one subnet for the co-locations and the other for all my
own stuff.

> One of the benefits there is that OpenVZ has a very small overhead, so
> you can pack a lot of VPS's onto the same hardware. Live migrations and
> backups or snapshots of entire VPS's without downtime are also a big
> plus. These certainly aren't unique OpenVZ features anymore as other
> solutions have managed to catch up in the last +10 years, but they're
> still very strong and well thought out features.
>
> I also like that OpenVZ follows the traditional Linux philosophy that
> everything is a file and should be 100% manageable from the CLI. Having
> a GUI is naturally a big plus for the mundane day to day tasks, but
> likewise it's very nice that GUI and shell management tools don't
> conflict with each others and you can still use both without worries
> that CLI usage would break GUI related stuff.
>
> Even an utter worst case scenario (totally wrecked VPS and having no
> good backups) is potentially recoverable under OpenVZ. Yet ideally one
> naturally ought to have a backup, in which case a restore would take
> just a few commands and mere minutes.
>
> The latest OpenVZ (OpenVZ 7 on EL7) provides the same management tools
> for both OpenVZ containers and KVM, so you can easily manage both with
> the same toolkit. I'm still working on the development of Aventurin{e}
> 6109R (GUI for OpenVZ 7), but it went a bit onto the back burner as
> OpenVZ 6 is still good enough and going strong.

Sounds good, I'll have to give this a try now that I have some resources
to do so... in my spare time :-/

> As far as BlueOnyx is concerned: It should run pretty much anywhere, but
> there are certainly some improvements possible to improve it's
> integration into certain scenarios.

Love BO! Been on it since the Cobalt days. Thanks Michael!

--
Robert