[BlueOnyx:20560] 5209 Migration issues

Michael Aronoff maronoff at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 05:15:18 -05 2017

I have now done two 5208 to 5209 migrations in the last two weeks and am
getting the hang of the issues.

There are two main problems I have had that others might benefit from
knowing about.

One, If you use the Server Backup package from Solarspeed/Compass you should
know that the MySQL backup/restore process at

http://www.blueonyx.it/index.php?page=cmu-migrations where you tar up the
whole /home/mysql folder is much better than using the mysql dump file. Not
only is it WAY faster for large database migrations but it just works much
easier.

There are however a couple of notes to make things even easier. It is very
easy to tar and back-up the whole /home/mysql folder instead of (or in
addition to) creating the regular MySQL dump file with the Server-Backup
plugin. You can create scripts to run before and after the extra folders are
tar'ed up. So, create a folder
/home/solarspeed/solbackup/server_backup/plugins and then create a script
called pretardirs.sh and posttardirs.sh

In pretardirs.sh put something like:

service mysql stop

sleep 10

in posttardirs.sh put:

service mysql start

chmod 755 both files and then add /home/mysql to the Server-Backup Extra
Directories screen.

Michael, perhaps you could add this as an option to the Server-Backup
package?

Also if moving from a 5208 to a 5209 with this process you will need to run
the following after you untar your /home/mysql folder to the correct
location to upgrade the database: mysql_upgrade -pyour-root-password

That will upgrade your databases to work with the much newer version of
MariaDB on the 5209.

The second thing to watch out for is also something that perhaps Michael
Stauber can fix. When you use CMU Import to restore your sites it does not
correctly setup PHP, and the httpd service will refuse to start. You must go
into each vsite and reset or choose new PHP Scripting in the Web Vsite
settings. It appears that the PHP version for each vsite on the 5209 is a
new needed datapoint and that new data field is imported blank so the web
server won't start. Once you go choose any setting for each site and save
them in the GUI then the web server will start properly. Perhaps Michel you
could change the way that code works so if that data is null the web server
defaults to using the lowest available PHP version.

I hope this info saves some others time and troubleshooting effort.

Other than the few small issues I have had to figure out, I have been very
happy with the move to the 5209. The ability to choose the PHP version for
each Vsite is a really good addition.

Thanks to everyone who contributes to BlueOnyx!

M Aronoff Out -  <mailto:maronoff at gmail.com> maronoff at gmail.com

I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have
of it.
  -  <http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/31912.html> Thomas Jefferson