[BlueOnyx:20615] Re: networking issues after most recent update

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Jan 27 11:57:06 -05 2017

Hi Chris,

> [root at web41 log]# ping 8.8.8.8
> ping: socket: Address family not supported by protocol
>
> Huh?
>
> Turns out it won't ping anything.
>
> These are 5208R & 5209R systems on Aventurin{e} 6108R.

Greg and I have seen this before, but only on 32-bit SL6 systems that
run as VPS on Aventurin{e}.

So far we never saw this on 5209R and possibly it's not a 5209R where
you've seen this. At least I hope so.

If I recall correctly we solved this by rolling back the "iproute" to
the last good version and to exclude this RPM from updating again in
/etc/yum.conf - Turned out that the new "iproute" has some provisions in
it which aren't yet compatible with OpenVZ networking. Funnily enough
this only affected SL 6 32-bit, but not 64-bit.

I just checked the yum.log on 5207R, 5208R and 5209R and I can't see
anything recent that might have brought a newer "iproute" aboard. Yet it
could be that another update restarted/reloaded the network and that
activated the system changes from the last "iproute" RPM update.

Another (remote) possibility:

If APF is installed and active: zap the blacklist and restart APF to see
if it makes a difference:

rm /etc/apf/deny_hosts.rules
touch /etc/apf/deny_hosts.rules
/sbin/service apf restart

It won't hurt and there is the really small chance that it just might
have blacklisted something we don't want to have blacklisted.

If you PM me offlist with the details (or send them via the GUI's
support request option) I can take a look.