[BlueOnyx:21158] Updated 5209R ISO available

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Jul 5 19:31:26 -05 2017

Hi all,

I'm just uploading a new 5209R ISO image
(BlueOnyx-5209R-CentOS-7.3-20170705.iso) that solves one long standing
issue:

The placement of the kickstart scripts.

Under certain conditions the previous ISO's were unable to access the
kickstart-scripts at cdrom:/ks/*.cfg, because /dev/cdrom wasn't
available as device due to the nature of how your architecture provided
access to the CD.

This was especially troublesome for those with certain hardware
architecture (IBM BladeCenters for example) or a few virtualization
implementations.

I managed to shove the kickstart scripts into the initrd.img of the CD
itself and modified isolinux.cfg (where the boot-menu is defined) to get
around this.

Long story short: The new 5209R CD (as well as the latest Aventurin{e}
6108R ISO) should now work no matter what.

Bonus: It *should* now also be possible to convert the ISO to a bootable
USB installation media and simply run the install off an USB stick.

I would *really* appreciate it if someone could give *that* a try. The
simplest method would be by using this software:

https://unetbootin.github.io/

They have a Windows and a Linux client to convert any bootable ISO to a
bootable USB and to directly write that off to the USB stick in one go.
It's all menu driven, so no haggling with the command line and "dd".

Sadly: I have no spare box at hand that I could try to boot from an USB
stick and my virtual test environments won't allow it either. VirtualBox
(in theory) allows it, but the Ubuntu version I use doesn't recognize my
USB stick. :-/

So if someone could try this I would really appreciate it.

The new 5209R ISO is currently uploading and can be grabbed probably two
hours after this message hits the list.