[BlueOnyx:21220] FTP login defaultroot wrong path

Jochen Demmer jdemmer at relaix.net
Mon Jul 31 04:38:00 -05 2017

Hi list,

please excuse if I ask something that had been asked before, but I can't
find a solution.
Reference:
http://mail.blueonyx.it/pipermail/blueonyx/2009-July/001575.html
http://blueonyx.mail.blueonyx.narkive.com/BXui2MYr/blueonyx-01431-default-ftp-login-to-web-folder
The other posts tell you have to use the fqdn rather than the IP. In my
case there is no difference if I use the IP or the hostname. The problem
remains the same.

*The issue:*
We are running 5209R and the problem is when an ftp user logs in, he's
put into the following directory:
~/.users/24/vh_423352_4
The full path looks like this:
/home/.sites/148/site16/.users/24/vh_423352_4

This is nasty because the user just puts the html files into the "web"
directory and he keeps wondering why his website isn't working.
We need to tell every single customer to go into "../../../web" instead.
We want the user to be put into this directory by default.

Here the proftpd.conf
[...]
DefaultRoot             / wheel
DefaultRoot             / admin-users
DefaultRoot             ~/../../.. site-adm
DefaultRoot             ~ !site-adm
<VirtualHost [[our_public_ip]]>
        DefaultRoot     / wheel
        DefaultRoot             / admin-users
        DefaultRoot             ~/../../.. site-adm
        DefaultRoot             ~ !site-adm
        AllowOverwrite  on
        DefaultChdir    /web
        DisplayLogin    .ftphelp