[BlueOnyx:21226] Re: FTP login defaultroot wrong path

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Mon Jul 31 11:05:14 -05 2017

Hi Joachim,

On 7/31/2017 10:06 AM, Joachim Klein wrote:
> I�m a customer of this system since 1996 (you know Cobalt Raq4 and so) and this behavior is one of the
> bad implementation of a feature.

Oh yes!  I know that you are also one of the "old timers" here!  :)

> Because in my about 20 years working with Raq, Bluequartz and Blueonyx the most support tickets are
> about this. Also you can tell this the customer many times. The customer founds the private /web directory
> and loads there pages up there and nothing worked.

I agree that there are some questions about this from time to time.
Generally, however, we have not lost much support time on this.  Maybe
it is because we provide the documentation to the customer up front, or
maybe we just have a very smart batch of customers.  ;)

> I have tried some other systems and the don�t have this silly behavior.
> That's my opinion

Indeed, we also have webservers that utilize Plesk (where you must
upload to httpdocs) and cPanel (where you must upload to public_html).
In any case, the user must be instructed to use *some* directory.   It
would be up to the customer to read the documentation that you provide
to them.  Hopefully you give them good instructions!

> @Jochen Demmer: you are right with your view of this situation

Please note: I'm not saying that you and Jochen are incorrect in your
view.   The main thing I must state is that I do not want the behavior
to suddenly change.   As you correctly stated, this feature has been in
place for 20+ years.   Suddenly changing the behavior to all users is
guaranteed to cause a support nightmare.

Like I said before in BlueOnyx:21222, Perhaps in the future it might be
possible to make another directory the default, and have that as an
*option that may be toggled within the BlueOnyx GUI*.

But it would not be a wise choice to simply make that the way things
work on all BlueOnyx servers whether the operator wants that or not.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services