[BlueOnyx:21228] Re: WebDAV - test results

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Jul 31 17:09:46 -05 2017

Hi all,

I wrote earlier:
> The current plan is to provide WebDAV as a simple, more robust and more
> usable alternative in the short to mid-term.

I guess that plan just went out of the window as well. I got WebDav
working on a 5209R, but it appears to have unacceptable UID/GID problems.

You can upload or modify files via WebDAV to the Apache DocumentRoot
directory of a Vsite or a WebDAV directory (or alias) just fine. With
SSL (if the Vsite has it enabled, or via the GUI backend if need be) and
it does what it's supposed to do.

Provided user "apache" has write access to the target directory.

That directly pops up the question: What if /web is owned by a siteAdmin
and not user "apache"? You guessed it: WebDAV will not be able to write
to /web in that case. Unless it is member of the group that owns the
Vsite. Which it normally isn't.

If we add "apache" to the group membership of a Vsite via "usermod -G
site1 apache" (which isn't really a good idea, but I did it anyway just
for testing purpose), then it can upload. But any uploaded file is then
owned by user "apache" and group "site1", which isn't what we want it to
be if the "Web Owner" (as defined in the GUI) is one of the siteAdmins.

As is WebDAV doesn't honor the SUEXEC directive, so this diminishes the
usability of WebDAV on a BlueOnyx and it wouldn't be a viable or hassle
free alternative.