[BlueOnyx:21471] Re: Bizarre 5209R loses network config

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Oct 3 17:26:24 -05 2017

Hi Chris,

> The MAC addresses were different.  One of them wasn't even a MAC on the
> system.  I show that 5209R was installed on this system over a year ago,
> and the hardware hasn't changed.  So yeah - very weird.

Indeed.

>> Fact of the matter is: Apache is a bitch to restart or reload
>> non-interactively.
>
> Recently, Apache has just plain been a bitch.

Yeah. :-/

> Yeah, I'm with you there.   If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Also, a
> daemon to watch the daemons... hmmm.

That's actually not as bad as it sounds. The last few years I have
gained some valuable experience coding daemons, only one of which
actually made it into a BlueOnyx package. Keeping such a daemon alive is
rather trivial and it could combine a few tasks under the hood that we
currently have gaining fat in other places. That would lower the
footprint of a Swatch run (and some baggage in Handlers/Constructors)
considerably.

As is we do have Sauce::Service fire a daemon anyway whenever it restart
Sendmail, Apache or the AV-SPAM. It's just that this daemon terminates
once it has done it's job and is no longer needed.

It's an option for the future and it might eventually become a
worthwhile addition. But it's not a priority as of now.