[BlueOnyx:21645] Re: Aventurin{e} 6108R & BlueOnyx: Sceptre / Meltdown and Kernels

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Sun Jan 7 10:56:55 -05 2018

On 1/6/2018 2:30 PM, Michael Stauber wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
>> Question, should I stop all VPS's then reboot Aventurin{e} or Just
>> reboot?
>
> When you do a reboot, it will suspend or stop all VPS, too. Which - on a
> box with many VPS's can take a while. Hence it could give you the
> impression that the reboot might not be working as it takes so bloody long.
>
> You can either choose to do /sbin/reboot and wait it out, or you can do
> "/sbin/service vz stop" to stop all VPS's and then do /sbin/reboot. That
> gives you a slightly better chance to judge when the reboot actually
> kicks in.
>
> All things considered: Either way is fine.

What I notice is that if the VPS's are "suspended" which appears to be
the first option that will be attempted in a reboot of the node, they
will not boot into the new kernel themselves.  Not to mention the delay
in the shutdown process (can take a LOOOOONNNNGGGGG time).

Therefore, what I have been doing in order to speed up the process is
issue a shutdown for all the virtuals, then issue the reboot.  This can
be done in a one-line like this:
for VE in $(vzlist -Ha -o veid); do vzctl stop $VE; done && reboot

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services