[BlueOnyx:21664] Re: SPF record in DNS

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Jan 10 21:46:51 -05 2018

Hi Meaulnes,

> SPF:
>
>   ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
> <user at gmail.com>
>     (reason: 550-5.7.1 This message does not have authentication information or fails to pass)
>
> Google recommends to create an SPF record for that domain by creating a
> TXT record in the DNS containing this text: v=spf1
> include:_spf.google.com ~all

I don't know why they would suggest "include:_spf.google.com".

You might want to take a look at this:

https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=spf%3amail.blueonyx.it&run=toolpage

That's the SPF records we have for "blueonyx.it". In our case it needs
to match "blueonyx.it", "mail.blueonyx.it" and "lists.blueonyx.it" and
they're all on the same IP: 38.114.102.7/32

Hence the resulting SPF record is something like this:

v=spf1 mx a ip4:38.114.102.7/32 a:lists.blueonyx.it
a:mail.solarspeed.net include:blueonyx.it ~all

The above URL explains it a bit further:

mx      = Match if IP is one of the MX hosts for given domain name
a       = Match if IP has a DNS 'A' record in given domain
ip4     = Match if IP is in the given range
include = The specified domain is searched for an 'allow'.
~all    = Softfail if something is wrong.