[BlueOnyx:21680] Re: milter-geoip fails a lot

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Jan 24 12:25:28 -05 2018

Hi Chris,

> Check the maillog, and sure enough:
> Milter (milter-geoip): error connecting to filter: Connection timed out
> with /var/run/milter-geoip.sock
>
> In each case, restarting milter-geoip fixes the problem.  Until
> milter-geoip crashes again.

It is likely that the problem is related to MySQL issues. Such as
MySQL/MariaDB being slow to act when the Milter needs it.

As Jeff said: I usually recommend to "Flush MySQL" via the AV-SPAM GUI
page as that's the easiest thing to do and usually brings the desired
results. But that also wipes the slate clean as far as AWL and Bayes are
concerned.

A less drastic method would be this: Via "Programs" / "phpMyAdmin" bring
up phpMyAdmin and in the "avspam6" database drop the three tables whose
name starts with "milter_*", which would be this:

- milter_groups
- milter_usage
- milter_users

Then restart milter-geoip. It might give a warning on the shell about
the missing database tables, but it will automatically recreate them
when it processes the first incoming email.

Let me know if this helps or if the problem persists afterwards and I'd
be glad to take a look.