[BlueOnyx:23076] Re: CushyCMS and ProFTPD

Ken Hohhof khohhof at kwom.com
Fri Aug 2 07:48:05 -05 2019

It sounds like there was a genuine vulnerability that was fixed, so I'm
reluctant to roll back the update in order to accommodate one customer.

Yesterday I signed up for a free Cushy account so I could reproduce and
troubleshoot the problem.  To my surprise ... no problem!

Here's my best guess, I think the customer's web designer who set up the CMS
probably used / as the path, while I used /web.  And perhaps this was
causing Cushy to explore directories not owned by the siteadmin, like maybe
php.d.

That still leaves the mystery of what changed in ProFTPd, because this was
working since 2016.  But I'm hoping the customer does not have the path set
to  /web, and that changing it will resolve the problem for her.  (Note that
I suspect the web designer has a branded pro account from Cushy and the
customer is just enrolled as an editor of her site and therefore can't see
or change the configuration.)

Web designers can be difficult to deal with.  They are artists!  And hosting
is just a commodity, low skill work by vendor scum who can be replaced with
the snap of a finger.