[BlueOnyx:23082] Re: CushyCMS and ProFTPD

Ken Hohhof khohhof at kwom.com
Fri Aug 2 13:45:17 -05 2019

This is probably a question for Michael.

I see on the server files that seem to be saved copies of the old
proftpd.conf, prior to yum updates:

-rw-------   1 root root      6155 Nov 16  2014 proftpd.conf.pre-1.3.5
-rw-------   1 root root     11618 Jul 24 06:00 proftpd.conf.pre-1.3.5e

The first one from 2014 does not have any of the entries that Tobias
mentions.  But the second one from a couple weeks ago has a bunch of entries
like this:

<VirtualHost 69.49.197.198>
                DefaultRoot             / wheel
                DefaultRoot             / admin-users
                DefaultRoot             ~/../../.. site-adm
                DefaultRoot             ~ !site-adm
                AllowOverwrite  on
                DefaultChdir    /web
                DisplayLogin    .ftphelp
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 69.49.197.188>
                DefaultRoot             / wheel
                DefaultRoot             / admin-users
                DefaultRoot             ~/../../.. site-adm
                DefaultRoot             ~ !site-adm
                AllowOverwrite  on
                DefaultChdir    /web
                DisplayLogin    .ftphelp
</VirtualHost>

Currently my proftpd.conf has no VirtualHost containers at all.  It looks
like they appeared in 2014, and went away again in 2019.

I had RaQ, RaQ3, RaQ550, BlueQuartz and now BlueOnyx.  Through those 20
years, I always thought ftp users would have to cd to the /web directory.  I
think for a brief period I modified the DefaultRoot so siteadmins would
start out in the site web directory rather than their home directory, but
stopped that, I think because it would get blown away after updates.

So did something change in 2014?  I'm not sure if it was DefaultChdir as
mentioned by Tobias, or DefaultRoot, or both?  And did this get broken in
the recent update?  Or is it just my server?  If those VirtualHost entries
are supposed to be there, is there a script I can run to get them back?