[BlueOnyx:23157] Redirection and forwarding, needing to redirect to a different server to a different port, can this be done easily?

Fungal Style wayin at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 23 09:02:50 -05 2019

Hi all,

Here is the situation, a website is hosted with an on-premise server (I know, stupid idea, but these guys are raised on *stoopid*, as in I bet their parents took a double helping thing more is better), they have port 80 blocked and port 443 open, so if you access their site via HTTPS, it works fine, but drop the HTTPS and use just HTTP, it fails, as port 80 is blocked.

Simple solution would be to change their firewall right? Well I am not certain the issue is with the firewall but the provider of the link to their server, and the firewall is part of a fairly high end router that you may need some additional training to understand all of the features (I think it is one of the Vanguards from memory, been a little bit since I last looked at the configs).

So here is what I am thinking, having a BO server handle the DNS requests, change the port to port 443 and then forward the traffic to the IP address of their on prem server, but I cannot think of a good way to do this as I am thinking iptables but surely there must be a better, (read as “easier way”) to do this that I am just not seeing, as even with iptables I am not sure I would be able to (could be a skills shortage on my side if it is possible).

Anyway, any thoughts or ideas on how to do this are warmly received.

Regards
Brian