[BlueOnyx:23158] Re: Redirection and forwarding, needing to redirect to a different server to a different port, can this be done easily?

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Aug 23 12:33:09 -05 2019

Hi Brian,

> So here is what I am thinking, having a BO server handle the DNS
> requests, change the port to port 443 and then forward the traffic to
> the IP address of their on prem server, but I cannot think of a good way
> to do this as I am thinking iptables but surely there must be a better,
> (read as “easier way”) to do this that I am just not seeing, as even
> with iptables I am not sure I would be able to (could be a skills
> shortage on my side if it is possible).

If you have a 5209R, then you can try this:

Say this site is called "www.company.com". They currently host it
internally. Create new DNS A Records and let "internal.company.com" be
the new host name that resolves to the IP of their internal server.

Then create www.company.com on a BlueOnyx 5209R as a regular Vsite via
the GUI. Enable SSL for the Vsite. Either with a real certificate or one
from Let's Encrypt.

Then go to the GUI of that Vsite and under "Services" / "Web" find the
option "Redirect/Proxy Website". Enable it. Set the "Redirect Type" to
"proxy" and enter https://internal.company.com as the "Target URL".

Then point the A Records for "www.company.com" and "company.com" to the
BlueOnyx and you should be good to go.

That should do it.