[BlueOnyx:22667] Re: LE certs renewing prematurely?

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Feb 1 12:53:48 -05 2019

Hi Brent,

> We had a number a certs that with renewal schedules that varied quite a
> bit, based on when they were initially setup (eg.: we had a cert
> expiring Feb 5, one on Apr 2, and numerous other certs on various dates
> in between).  We decided to leave these staggered to avoid running into
> any potential issues with LE rate limits.
>
> I noticed today that the renewal dates are nearly all synced up,
> differing by only a few seconds each.  Was this intentional?

Yes, I had mentioned that in the news here and on the website when I had
published the ACME changes:

Right after the first time the ACME client replaced the old CertBot we
needed the daily cronjob to renew all LE certs. Regardless of their
expiry date.

That was done to inform ACME that it's now in charge of the renewals for
every LE cert that had auto-renew enabled.