[BlueOnyx:22582] Re: Anonymous FTP on 520xR

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Jan 9 01:21:06 -05 2019

Hi Chris,

> I've been searching the archives as I could almost swear I remember a
> deprecation of Anonymous FTP but cannot find confirmation.

See:
http://devel.blueonyx.it/trac/browser/BlueOnyx/5209R/ui/base-ftp.mod/templates/rpmdefs.tmpl

It has the %changelog for the 5209R base-ftp module. The entry you're
looking for starts at line 166:

* Tue Nov 14 2017 Michael Stauber <mstauber at solarspeed.net> 1.4.0-0BX01
- Major version bump. This update removes anything related to Anon-FTP.
  Because nobody in his right mind would still use that anyway. Just
  keeping the provisions for potential Anon-FTP usage around amounted
  to about 80 percent of code of the FTP implementation. Not only that,
  it also threw a wrench into the IPv6 implementation. So ... bye bye
  Anon-FTP. We will not miss you. Net result is also a pretty slick
  and clean ProFTPd config file without bloody VirtualHost containers.
  Because without Anon-FTP we don't need them either.

So Anon-FTP got removed from 5209R in November 2017.

> We have a customer that relies on anon. FTP for their application but
> also required updating from 5108R to 5208R for ongoing compatibility.
> Since the update, they report that Anonymous FTP is not working. They've
> disabled / re-enabled from the GUI.

On 5207R/5208R Anon-FTP should still be working, although I must admit
that I haven't tested it in ages. It's such an anachronism that I'm just
glad that I don't have to care about it anymore.

If it doesn't work on 5208R, then please ask the customer to submit a
support ticket via the GUI and I'll take a look at it.