[BlueOnyx:22943] Re: Mod PHP problem

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Jun 13 02:03:15 -05 2019

Hi Darren,

> But, since every task I undertake seems to cause headaches,
> it broke my WordPress 5.1.1 setup, giving me database errors. After going
> under Installed Software and uninstalling this new PHP version, the
> WordPress site is fine.
>
> Now, I can see in my WordPress dashboard that it does advise me to upgrade -
> specifically, I have the following message:
>
> An updated version of WordPress is available.
> You cannot update because WordPress 5.2.1 requires PHP version 5.6.20 or
> higher. You are running version 5.3.3.

Yeah, you can get into these catch-22 situations with PHP and MySQL.
Perhaps the case here is this:

The MySQL user for that database was created with old style passwords
and newer PHP versions do no longer support these. The "fix" is to
simply reset the passwords once. You can even set the same password(s)
again, as during the reset the "new style" for the passwords will be
used. You can either do this from the command line, or easily via
phpMyAdmin.