[BlueOnyx:22982] Re: Until we meet again...

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Jun 28 17:26:10 -05 2019

Hi Dan,

> Just wanted to say an official au revoir as we have just turned off our
> last BlueOnyx server and I'll be leaving this mailing list soon.
>
> It's been quite a ride from Cobalt -> BlueQuartz -> BlueOnyx.

Indeed, it has been quite a ride and I'm sorry to see you go, Dan. After
all, you'll be going to miss out on BlueOnyx 5210R. ;-)

> When Sun shut down Cobalt (I could rant about this for hours) I
> migrated my systems to my own servers running BlueQuartz.

Yeah, I also recall these days with dread when Sun bought Cobalt. I was
working for Sun as a contractor in their Langen office in Germany.
Seeing Scott McNealies weekly email rants about how Linux sucked and
then him doing a 180° and raving how beautifully the acquisition of
Cobalt Networks would work for them. Or local leading Sales manager
called me in and said "Uhm ... they say you know this Cobalt stuff. What
is that actually?" These things made it more than clear that they had no
friggin' idea and that it wouldn't and couldn't work.

> 20 years later and I don't recognise myself. The company I started 9
> years ago now has staff and we're now building highly available and
> scalable Linux solutions for large e-commerce providers.

That sounds really great. Am glad to hear you're doing so well.

> While I may have sworn at BlueOnyx at various times in my life, I still
> look at it fondly and will miss it... in a strange sort of way.

We're not going away and if you ever need anything, then you know where
to find us. :-)

> Open source is a thankless task.

Yeah, at times it sure is!

> Most of all though, enjoy what you do :-)

Will do!

All the best to you, Dan. Until we meet again ...