[BlueOnyx:22767] Re: Problem fix and potential feature request

Michael Aronoff maronoff at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 14:44:07 -05 2019

Brian wrote:
> This would be a great feature to add to the system allowing the admin
> to specify on which port sendmail listens.

If you need to have Sendmail listen on a non-standard port you can easily
use xinet.d to do that.

I used to have clients use port 999 for SMTP before port 587 became the
standard alternate port.

So to keep backward compatibility for client that had port 999 in their
configuration I use the following setup.

To setup port 999 in xinetd.d (Change your port and IP address as required)

nano -w /etc/xinetd.d/smtp_forward

Paste the following:
service smtp_forward
{
        disable         = no
        type            = UNLISTED
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        user            = nobody
        wait            = no
        redirect        = 208.xxx.xxx.xxx 25
        port            = 999
}

Then save and exit Nano.
Then run: systemctl reload xinetd.service

Notice on the "redirect" line you have the IP address and port to forward
to.

Once that is complete you will be able to have any port forwarded you need
and not mess with Sendmail's configuration.

M Aronoff Out – maronoff at gmail.com

I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have
of it.
  - Thomas Jefferson