[BlueOnyx:23199] Re: Upcoming BlueOnyx 5210R additions

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Wed Sep 11 16:40:07 -05 2019

On 9/11/2019 4:04 PM, Ernie wrote:
> It's pretty sad that Centos can't keep up with RHEL releases.
> RedHat changed their release schedule to 6monthly but they are suppoting
> multiple versions at the same time. 8.1 has been available in beta since
> July 24th. and Centos havent done any work on 8.0 since the 7.7 code became
> available. It's a mess.
>
> What's the fallback, use Fedora like BlueQuartz originally did?
> Fedora support cycle isn't very long, but they are the upstream for RHEL.

It's apples to oranges.   RedHat is > $3M company with over 10,000
employees which now has the backing of IBM.     CentOS is historically a
community-based project.  Although it's backed by RedHat these days,
it's not the same dev team and does not enjoy nearly the same amount of
resources.

Shameful, sad, unfortunate... whatever.    Does it *honestly* matter for
our purposes?    The BlueOnyx devs can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm
given to understand that we're not sitting on pins and needles waiting
for CentOS 8 so we can finally overcome some operational hurdle.
While Michael has been working up new features for 5210R, these aren't
items that require RHEL8.   It's just a matter of how many ports of a
feature the devs want to be responsible for.

In the meantime, we can sit back and relax and let our existing
5200-series machines continue to purr.  Especially as I sit and watch
the cPanel world burn.  You want controversy and screaming?   Host a
bunch of cPanel.  Trust me.  It's ugly right now.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services