[BlueOnyx:23210] Re: Upcoming BlueOnyx 5210R additions -> 5310R

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Sep 17 00:58:27 -05 2019

Hi Ernie,

> CentOS tweeted relase of 8.0 next week.

Yeah. Miracles and marvels. To let loose two Game of Thrones quotes I'm
torn between citing Robert Baratheon ("Start the damn joust before I
p*ss myself!") and Jon Snow ("I dun want eet!"). ;-)

> Don't abandon the Debian!
I won't. It'll go on the back burner until 5210R is out, has stabilized
and once I've caught up porting all shop packages for 5210R I'll be back
at the Debian version.

Like said: The Debian port is is a long term commitment that won't
generate results fast or easy. Aside from the building of tons of DEBs
(some part of BlueOnyx, some our more exotic dependencies) there also
are Debian specific adaptions needed to the BlueOnyx code. Like dealing
with config file parsing and writing (different paths, different daemon
versions). And of course we'll also need to adapt base-swupdate to be
able to install PKGs that don't contain RPMs, but have DEBs aboard.

Another issue is that Debian directly has a full set of different PHP
versions available, which is both good and bad. If we use them, then
base-vsite and base-apache need to be adapted to make use of them. And
we need to pick one for AdmServ which is compatible with the GUI. The
5210R GUI works with PHP-7.2, so we're sort of OK in that regards. But
going from 7.2 to 7.3 shouldn't be that complex either.