[BlueOnyx:23807] Re: 5209R automatic Let's Encrypt renew - webalias redirect turns off and not on again

Dick Dolby dickdolby at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 13:54:31 -05 2020

> On 24 Apr 2020, at 16:18, Michael Stauber <mstauber at blueonyx.it> wrote:
>
> Hi Dick,
>
>> Can you confirm that this only happens if Web Alias Redirects was enabled in the first place?
>
> In order for this to happen the SSL certificate must have been requested
> not only for the FQDN, but also for web server aliases. If that was the
> case, then "Web Server Alias redirects" used to get turned off.

Just my luck, we’ve had a site updated today on which WordPress redirects to the non-www host name.

After the certificate was updated, Web Alias Redirects was set to On and tried insisted on forwarding users to the www host, so the website timed out after too many redirects.

This is probably due to the circumstance you mentioned - that the LE cert was requested for both host names at the same time (and in this case, before the website was uploaded).

I’ll look at removing SSL for the www alias which should fix things at our end, but I may be a better idea to change the way the renewals decide whether to re-enable Web Address Redirects.

All the best, and stay safe,

Dick Dolby.