[BlueOnyx:24155] Re: Yum update error 5209R

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Aug 6 21:21:23 -05 2020

Hi Ernie,

> Just been trying to do a yum update on a 5209R server and I am getting the
> followin message:
>

> yum -y update
> Loaded plugins: blueonyx, fastestmirror
> Determining fastest mirrors
> Could not retrieve mirrorlist http://updates.blueonyx.it/index.php?release=7&arch=x86_64 error was
> 14: HTTP Error 504 - Gateway Timeout
>
> Has some setting for yum changed that I missed?

No, it's a bottleneck issue on my end. Although the numbers of mirrors
we have is sufficient to cope with the number of YUM/DNF updates we get,
there is a bottleneck further upstream where we gather the statistics.

The index.php on updates.blueonyx.it makes a callback to our
Matomo/Piwik instance on stats.blueonyx.it to count the mirror access by
platform and general geographical origin. Sadly something seems to have
changed in Matomo and this tiny transaction now causes frequent
timeouts. Especially when a lot of YUM updates happen simultaneously.

It's a bitch to troubleshoot and for the last couple of weeks I try to
be around whenever a tsunami of update requests from Japan comes in so
that I can apply some tweaks and see if that helps.

It already got a bit better due to applied tweaks, but it's not quite
yet where I want it to be.