[BlueOnyx:24178] Re: BSOD

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Aug 11 20:42:37 -05 2020

Hi Thomas,

> On  BlueOnyx 5210R with active BlueOnyx Enterprise Edition (BOEE) license.
> I am missing "Automated Backup" in the "Third Party Software" list, is it not ready for 5210R ?

No, the "Automated Backup" isn't ready yet for 5210R. Given the sorry
state of CMU on 5210R I feel not comfortable offering the CMU-based
"Automated Backup" on 5210R, as the results would be highly questionable.

I'm currently working on "Easy Backup" as a replacement. It'll have a
GUI that's based on "Automated Backup" and uses a highly modified "Easy
Migrate" that has been adapted to create tarballs and XML files. In
principle this will be similar in function as (but not compatible to) CMU.

The strong points of "Easy Migrate" are the "on the fly" adjustments of
CODB objects and the integrated mechanisms to handle MySQL and DNS. This
makes it possible to retain a coherent configuration that covers all the
shop items as well as their settings and data. CMU never could do that.

"Easy Backup" will inherit these abilities from "Easy Migrate", but
instead of doing direct CCEd transactions for the settings and using
RSYNC to to transfer data it'll create portable XML files and Tarballs
that can be used both for backups as well as for delayed migrations
where a target server is not immediately available.

I don't have an ETA on this yet. But when "Easy Backup" becomes
available it'll be made available to anyone who has previously purchased
the "Automated Backup" and still has ongoing support/updates for it.