[BlueOnyx:24228] spamass-milter with smtpauth

Michael Aronoff maronoff at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 09:01:53 -05 2020

Michael, I had sent a message before about how even with the box "Scan
outgoing email" is unchecked spamass-milter is still checking outgoing
email.

You are using -i 127.0.0.1 in /etc/sysconfig/spamass-milter but that
only prevents email send from webforms or webmail like Roundcube from
being scanned. Users who connect with SMTP Authentication still have
their email scanned which can be a problem if there are many rules and
the check is slow.

I had mentioned that the spamass-milter man page showed that -I should
be used to prevent mail send with smtpauth from being checked.

It turns out the online Man page I was looking at is outdated. Sorry.

If you ask spamass-milter itself you get the correct info:
/usr/sbin/spamass-milter --help

The correct setting is -a to prevent smtpauth users from being scanned.
I added that to my /etc/sysconfig/spamass-milter and then did systemctl
restart spamass-milter and things run much quicker now.

I wanted to let you know so the AV-SPAM package could be corrected.

Thanks,
M Aronoff Out – maronoff at gmail.com

I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
   - Thomas Jefferson