[BlueOnyx:24601] Re: End of life of Centos 8?

Ken Hohhof khohhof at kwom.com
Sat Dec 12 23:14:36 -05 2020

Michael, what do you know about Oracle Linux?  I had never heard of it, but
this blog post sounds very convincing:
https://blogs.oracle.com/linux/need-a-stable%2c-rhel-compatible-alternative-
to-centos-three-reasons-to-consider-oracle-linux

I assume this is in no way an outgrowth of Solaris.  I'll admit I have a
possibly prejudiced negative opinion of Larry Ellison and thought of Oracle
as buying companies to kill them.  Those opinions may be totally uninformed.
But it seems strange that Debian, Ubuntu and Fedora come to mind but I've
never even heard of Oracle Linux before.

It also seems like IBM buying RedHat is reminiscent of what happened when
Oracle bought Sun.  Again, maybe an uninformed opinion.