[BlueOnyx:23656] Re: Aventurin{e} 6109R errors

Colin Jack colin at mainline.co.uk
Wed Feb 12 13:09:56 -05 2020

Hi Michael,

    [root at node ~]# systemctl status webvnc
    ● webvnc.service - Aventurin{e} WebVNC Daemon
       Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/webvnc.service; enabled;
    vendor preset: disabled)
       Active: active (running) since Do 2020-02-06 21:52:39 -05; 5 days ago
     Main PID: 272819 (webvnc.pl)
        Tasks: 12
       Memory: 36.5M
       CGroup: /system.slice/webvnc.service

    This is especially needed for VMs, but also works for CTs. It provides a
    web socket to interface between "noVNC" and the GUI.

    In the Aventurin{e} 6109R GUI when you go to a VPS and "VPS Basic
    Settings" you can tick a checkbox called "VNC enabled" and specify a VNC
    port and VNC Password.

    VNC access to that CT is then possible via the IP/Hostname of the node
    and the specified port. You can use any VNC related client for that purpose.

    But additionally: If VNC is enabled for at least one VM or CT, then the
    service "webvnc" is started automatically and additionally "Active
    Monitor" will restart it in case of failure. Via the GUI under "Virtual
    Servers" / <VPS> / "VNC Access" you can then access the shell of a CT or
    VM in the browser.

    This is a must have for VMs, because that's the only way how you can
    access the installer during the ISO install of the OS into a VM.

    For CT's it's merely optional, as you'll always have a shell via "prlctl
    enter <UUID>" and the installation method of OS's into CTs is different,
    too.

Okay - understood. I only run CTs so not too much of a problem. I have never had much success with VMs on Aventurin{e}.
Can I just ignore these emails or should I go through the CTs and turn webvnc off for all of them?

Kind regards

Colin