[BlueOnyx:23983] Re: 5210R: Postfix SNI support - status update

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Jun 12 13:12:19 -05 2020

Hi Ernie,

> It's a 5209R I was having the probem on not 5210R

Ah, I see. I just published an updated base-email for 5209R that fixes
the problems you mentioned.

> Never used the nginx proxy, haven't even read what it's for.

As typical the Apache on CentOS is quite old. Nginx has become rather
capable and does thing a lot nicer and with better performance than
Apache (in many cases). But there are still usage cases that Apache
covers and Nginx doesn't. So we can't entirely replace Apache with Nginx
without feature loss.

However: We can use Nginx as a proxy for HTTPS connections. Apache still
serves HTTP as before. But if the connection is via HTTPS and Nginx is
used as Proxy, then we get the benefit of TLSv1.3 connections, better
crypto and even HTTP/2 support, which Nginx supports out of the box.
This results in better load times for many HTTPS pages. It's not as fast
as when Nginx would serve HTTPS content directly, but it's still faster
than Apache on it's own.

So yeah, it has its uses.