[BlueOnyx:24041] Re: BlueOnyx 5210R on older hardware

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Thu Jun 25 22:13:07 -05 2020

On 6/25/2020 9:54 PM, Richard Morgan wrote:

> Hello
>
> Is there any issue with BX running on older hardware? We’ve got a Dell
> R200, quad core, 8Gb RAM but I’m unable to get it installed.
>
> The first issue is that it isn’t recognising the DVD. Second issue is
> when booting from a USB flash drive I get a message about Insufficient
> Kickstart – if I overcome (don’t remember how) this then it installs
> to sdb and sdc, which won’t boot.
>
> Apologies if this is a hardware thing, but any ideas would be helpful.

You've hit it on the head, Richard.   It's a hardware thing.

Red Hat dropped a ton of drivers for older (I would argue perfectly
viable) hardware with RHEL8, which of course trickles down to CentOS.
This means that there are plenty of RAID, SATA and SAS controllers that
have been orphaned.

There's hope for you, though, in Aventurin{e}.    An installation of
6109R as a foundation, with a 5210R CT running on it has merits apart
from hanging onto some of that legacy hardware, and may be worth
consideration.

Or you might find this to be a good time to get your BlueOnyx from a
friendly datacenter provider.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services