[BlueOnyx:23868] Re: Garbled characters immediately after installation

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu May 21 14:52:20 -05 2020

Hi Tomohiro Hosaka,

> I will tell you one problem that I had noticed before.
>
> On the screen of http://XXX:444 after installation
> If you select Japanese in the language selection, the characters will
> be garbled (mojibake).
>
>>From the screen of http://XXX:444/user/personalAccount
> Change the Administrator language to English once and save
> If you change the language to Japanese and save again, it will be resolved.
>
> https://bokut.in/mojibake_japanese.png
> https://bokut.in/mojibake_japanese_fixed.png
>
> I don't know if it occurs in other languages besides English, or if
> it's a problem around po mo.

It only seems to affect Japanese. We had a few cases of mojibake before,
so I know what to look for and I'll check it out.

In https://bokut.in/mojibake_japanese.png I can see that only two menu
entries (and their help-texts) seem to be affected on that screen, but
the rest is shown fine.

Which is a bit weird. Usually we get mojibake if the Japanese locale
files were damaged or not saved in UTF-8 prior to being processed by
"msgfmt" to build the *.mo files. Or if the PHP code tries to display
Japanese locales using UTF-8 and not in EUC-JP as it should.

I checked the Japanese locale files for the "PHP Security" entry and the
"Logins" entry.

Is it correct that the problem only happens if you choose Japanese in
the GUI based setup wizard?

If that's the case, then I bet the GUI started processing the first few
locale strings in UTF-8 (and garbled these), but then automatically
realized it had to use EUC-JP.

This will take some time to debug, but I'll get to it and will then
publish a fix.

Many thanks for bringing this to my attention.