[BlueOnyx:24464] Re: 5210R Mailman

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Nov 6 14:35:20 -05 2020

Hi Florian,

> Could this also somehow have to do with the switch from sendmail to postfix?

I just checked it (again) and it's true: As it is now Mailman doesn't
work with Postfix on 5210R.

As it turns out: The guides to integrate Mailman into Postfix on RHEL 8
or CentOS 8 are all utter and complete garbage. Mostly due to the fact
how flexible Postfix is and that you can achieve the same net-results in
many different fashions of configuration.

The probably most worthless guide was of course published by RedHat:
https://access.redhat.com/solutions/36454

They say: "NOTICE: This article assumes that you have an
already-configured and working postfix server."

In fact they tell you fuck all about how the Postfix side of things has
to look in order for Postfix to be able to pass emails on to Mailman.
Which is kinda ridiculous, as the default Postfix configuration in
CentOS 8 has no Mailman related settings begin with. So this actually
never makes ends meet.

I just figured out what's wrong and how to get it working.

Bottom line: This requires changes in both the Mailman and Postfix
configuration. I need to move the location of the Mailman alias files
from /etc/mail/aliases.mailman to /etc/mailman/aliases. In addition the
Postfix parameter 'virtual_alias_maps' drops /etc/mail/aliases.mailman
and instead gets 'hash:/etc/mailman/virtual-mailman' added.

So I'll have to wiggle this into the dynamic Postfix-Confgen routine as
well as to make sure that all the config changes to Mailman are rolled
back when someone switches from Postfix back to Sendmail.

As this is a bit complicated I'm not sure if I'll manage to roll up
fixed RPMs today. But I guess until Monday at the latest I should have
YUM updates ready.