[BlueOnyx:24313] BO 5209 - not booting, looks like a problem with GRUB

Fungal Style wayin at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 18 10:49:18 -05 2020

Hi all,

I have a problem where I have a VM with 5209 and it will not reboot, it shows the linux  boot menu, the shows that it can’t find command ‘[‘ as well as a few other similar lines (different characters/letters I suspect different mount points for the different kernels or similar), which appears to be a grub issue from what I have been reading when it cannot find the mount or mounts in my case as none of them will boot.

So here is what I have done…

Loaded up an ISO of 5209, booted with it, and selected to do trouble shooting.

It did produce an error about SUuser or something (I did not take too much notice of it at the time as I am working with a copy of the live VM).

So once at a bash prompt I did the following after if mounted the image with all the current folders appearing as I would expect:

I then use the following command…

/sbin/grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

Which comes back with:
grub-install: error: /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/modinfo.sh doesn't exist. Please specify --target or --directory.

So I am suspecting it needs to be something like /mnt/sysimage/boot/grub2/i386-pc/ ? As that is one of the locations I found the missing file to located at.

But when I do that, it finds a CentOS install and then I exit/reboot, I get…

Error: file ‘/grub2/i386-pc/priority_queue.mod’ not found.
Entering rescue mode…
grub rescue> _

From this point I cannot seem to make any further progress.

Is there a recommended way to “fix” a broken grub bootloader for BlueOnyx?
What/where can I check to make sure the correct files are in the location expected?

I have not seen anything specific and mainly reviewing CentOS references to this and suspect I am missing something relatively simple.

Regards
Brian