[BlueOnyx:24314] Re: BO 5209 - not booting, looks like a problem with GRUB

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Sep 18 13:11:03 -05 2020

Hi Brian,

> grub-install: error: /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/modinfo.sh doesn't exist.
> Please specify --target or --directory.

Hmm. I haven't seen that one yet. Let's see where that is from:

#> yum whatprovides "*/i386-pc/modinfo.sh"
[...]
1:grub2-i386-modules-2.02-0.81.el7.centos.noarch : Modules used to build
custom grub images
Quelle      : base
Übereinstimmung von:
Dateiname     : /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/modinfo.sh

#> LC_ALL=C yum info 1:grub2-i386-modules-2.02-0.81.el7.centos.noarch
Loaded plugins: blueonyx, fastestmirror
 * BlueOnyx-5209R: updates.blueonyx.it
 * Solarspeed.net-AVSPAM-v6: mirror.smd.net
 * base: yum.tamu.edu
 * extras: repos.hou.layerhost.com
 * updates: mirrors.tummy.com
Available Packages
Name        : grub2-i386-modules
Arch        : noarch
Epoch       : 1
Version     : 2.02
Release     : 0.81.el7.centos
Size        : 847 k
Repo        : base/7/x86_64
Summary     : Modules used to build custom grub images
URL         : http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/
License     : GPLv3+
Description :
            : The GRand Unified Bootloader (GRUB) is a highly
configurable and
            : customizable bootloader with modular architecture.  It
supports a rich
            : variety of kernel formats, file systems, computer
architectures and
            : hardware devices.
            :
            : This subpackage provides support for rebuilding your own
grub.efi.

#> LC_ALL=C rpm -q grub2-i386-modules
package grub2-i386-modules is not installed

On none of my 5209R's I have that RPM installed. I wonder why you have
it and why your Grub-image suddenly depends on it. Granted, I guess at
this time I don't have a single 5209R that uses EFI-boot to begin with.
The 5209R ISO is non-EFI as well.

So let's start fishing closer to that direction: Does that VM have EFI
enabled? Was the CentOS 7 installed with EFI-support and 5209R then got
installed via YUM?

Is EFI still on for that VM now?