[BlueOnyx:24316] Re: BO 5209 - not booting, looks like a problem with GRUB

Fungal Style wayin at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 18 16:14:30 -05 2020

Hi Michael,

A lot of these questions I do not know the answer for as the (original) VM was created quite some time ago and I am working with a copy so that I can do pretty much anything I need to without affecting the live VM.

The problem may have been the steps I took (hen e I listed what I did to get to that point), essentially I just need to make the VM bootable again so I can replicate the steps on the live VM.

I Checked the VM settings, it is set to BIOS and not EFI, hence I mention it may have been the steps I have followed which appeared to work to a degree, then boom, landed me here... back to the same problem with a differing root cause (ie non booting VM but potentially for a differing reason).

So getting back to your comments:
-------------
|On none of my 5209R's I have that RPM installed. I wonder why you have
|   it and why your Grub-image suddenly depends on it. Granted, I guess at
|   this time I don't have a single 5209R that uses EFI-boot to begin with.
|   The 5209R ISO is non-EFI as well.
-------------
As I mentioned, it may have been my steps taken to remedy the issue that caused the dependency.

-------------
|  So let's start fishing closer to that direction: Does that VM have EFI
|  enabled? Was the CentOS 7 installed with EFI-support and 5209R then got
|  installed via YUM?
-------------
No, EFI is not enabled, it is set to BIOS

-------------
|  Is EFI still on for that VM now?
-------------
No, as far I know it was never altered.

So it is VERY possible I followed steps which cause GRUB to want to use it, so maybe going back to the original issue or a BIOS boot optioned VM (non-EFI) not wanting to start, as trying to fix a problem of my own creating after the initial may well be self defeating.

So getting back to the original problem I was trying to fix is:
can’t find command ‘[‘
(then several other similar lines no matter which boot option I choose)

Regards
Brian

On 19/9/20, 4:18 am, "Michael Stauber" <mstauber at blueonyx.it> wrote:

    Hi Brian,

    > grub-install: error: /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/modinfo.sh doesn't exist.
    > Please specify --target or --directory.

    Hmm. I haven't seen that one yet. Let's see where that is from:

    #> yum whatprovides "*/i386-pc/modinfo.sh"
    [...]
    1:grub2-i386-modules-2.02-0.81.el7.centos.noarch : Modules used to build
    custom grub images
    Quelle      : base
    Übereinstimmung von:
    Dateiname     : /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/modinfo.sh

    #> LC_ALL=C yum info 1:grub2-i386-modules-2.02-0.81.el7.centos.noarch
    Loaded plugins: blueonyx, fastestmirror
     * BlueOnyx-5209R: updates.blueonyx.it
     * Solarspeed.net-AVSPAM-v6: mirror.smd.net
     * base: yum.tamu.edu
     * extras: repos.hou.layerhost.com
     * updates: mirrors.tummy.com
    Available Packages
    Name        : grub2-i386-modules
    Arch        : noarch
    Epoch       : 1
    Version     : 2.02
    Release     : 0.81.el7.centos
    Size        : 847 k
    Repo        : base/7/x86_64
    Summary     : Modules used to build custom grub images
    URL         : http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/
    License     : GPLv3+
    Description :
                : The GRand Unified Bootloader (GRUB) is a highly
    configurable and
                : customizable bootloader with modular architecture.  It
    supports a rich
                : variety of kernel formats, file systems, computer
    architectures and
                : hardware devices.
                :
                : This subpackage provides support for rebuilding your own
    grub.efi.

    #> LC_ALL=C rpm -q grub2-i386-modules
    package grub2-i386-modules is not installed