[BlueOnyx:24322] Re: BO 5209 - not booting, looks like a problem with GRUB

Fungal Style wayin at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 21 08:05:19 -05 2020

Hi Michael (and all),

Maybe my question/problem could be phrased more like:

As far as I know there is no EFI boot set as the vm was configured for BIOS and not EFI.

If I have a BlueOnyx install and it fails to boot what would be the steps I should take?

Based on the info that It shows the boot loader screen to select, but then just shows a message:
    can’t find command ‘[‘
    (then several other similar lines no matter which boot option I choose)

>From reading around it looks like it is a GRUB issue and 5209 uses GRUB2 (I believe, correct me if wrong).

So if GRUB. Got destroyed, corrupted, what would you suggest? As I have booted into the troubleshooting option from a 5209 ISO I booted from, so I believe I can readily mount the partitions to view the data on there, it just will not boot normally.

I also know that this happened sometime after August 6th,(in case there was a yum update or something that went screwy) and I was fortunate enough to create a snapshot prior to going to restart the server.

One thought I also had, is there anything in the TMP partition that is required for booting? As just prior I had done some clean up hence the snapshot (albeit after the deleting), it killed a couple of services and I managed to bring them back, but though it was worth a mention in case it may be related.

Thoughts, suggestions, pearls of wisdom gratefully accepted and appreciated...

Regards
Brian