[BlueOnyx:24325] Re: old 5106R

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Mon Sep 21 17:23:28 -05 2020

On 9/21/2020 4:50 PM, Ernie wrote:
> 5106R still works fine on a KVM virtual machine.
> I presume Virtualbox should work too.
>
> - Ernie.

Note that "works fine" probably means different things to different people.

CentOS 5 went EOL in Q1 2017.   So while a system running that release
may power on, connect to network, and do various tasks, the binaries are
now woefully out of date.   Security wise, there are things you can do
but it amounts to a padlock on a screen door.    If you're providing any
sort of commercial services, you need to be off CentOS 5 pronto.
Continuing to provide service could be considered negligent and could
saddle you with liability in the event of a problem.

My advice:  stop wasting time trying to keep the old thing running.
Just migrate off it.      If that's a task that is beyond your scope of
expertise, you can contract to have it done commercially.

Compass Networks provides migrations:
https://www.compassnetworks.com.au/blueonyx/migrations.html

And of course, so does Solarspeed:
https://www.solarspeed.net/blueonyx/migrations.html

We also provide discounted migration services to our customers to make
things painless.

So back to the "works fine" statement.... sure, if you're a hobbyist and
don't want to spend any time or effort on your hobby, then maybe you
meet the definition.   (But you're pretty lazy with your hobby.)   If
you're a service provider then, be honest; you know better.   Spend half
a day and get your house in order.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services