[BlueOnyx:24326] Re: old 5106R

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Sep 21 19:21:38 -05 2020

Hi all,

Chris wrote (and I totally agree with all of it):

> CentOS 5 went EOL in Q1 2017. [...]
>
> My advice:  stop wasting time trying to keep the old thing running.
> Just migrate off it.

Just a bit more food for thought from my end here: Totally ignoring the
EOL of a product line also closes some doors for you and locks you in
further into a corner where you definitely don't want to be.

Take this 5106R. How to migrate off it? Easy-Migrate? Not possible. It
was designed and launched *long* after the EOL of not only 5106R, but
also after the EOL of 5107R and 5108R.

So they only way to migrate off that 5106R is CMU. But you can't
CMU-Migrate to a 5210R, because CMU no longer works well enough with
5210R to take it into consideration. The result of even trying will be a
complete mess.

So the only way from 5106R -> 5210R will require an intermediate migration.

Such as 5106R--CMU-->5209R and then 5209R--Easy-Migrate-->5210R.

If I were tasked with doing this migration I could make some
one-time-tweaks to Easy-Migrate to make it work directly for this case,
but it would require some extra effort.