[BlueOnyx:24327] Moving 5106R to 5210R Aventurin{e} BlueOnyx Enterprise Edition (BOEE)

David Hahn blueonyx at sb9.com
Tue Sep 22 00:12:32 -05 2020

Hi All,

My 5106R servers have been very reliable for decades... Michael has done
a fantastic job! He's a saint.

But it was way past time to replace them years ago.  With that said, I
have many questions on how to configure

the 5210R for web hosting use. Some of the users have been with us from
the beginning, and have some really old

sites with mixed content on them. PHP, Perl, MySql and more. I know
there is not a simple way exporting from a

5106R to 5210R via CMU or any other utility. I'm fine with that, since
all the sites could use a facelift.

The questions:

MariaDB & MySQL

I see the 5210R has both in the GUI. I would guess that MySQL would
possibly

be phased out at some point but might be useful for a older site in a
pinch.

When we setup a new vsite we would create a MySQL database for the site.

Should we create both styles of databases for each user or stick to one?
(eg; MariaDB for future use)

Do the BOEE web apps create a new MySQL by default or MariaDB when
installed to the vsite,

or could the install use the existing database that was created when
configuring the vsite?

Does Mariadb/Mysql GUI panels both use the admin/root password by default?

PHP

I see that the 5210R will allow the site to use many versions of PHP,
once installed.

What needs to be configured by the user to run a specific older version
at run time?

Could other scripts on the same vsite use another version as well?

PERL

FYI: 5106R uses v5.8.8. The 5210R uses v5.26.3. I'm guessing not much
changed.

SENDMAIL VS. POSTFIX

If using postfix as MTA , can the user still use sendmail for their
scripts or is there a better way?

SSL

Michael, the 'Let's Encrypt' GUI module is awesome! Never has it been so
easy to setup SSL certs.

BlueOnyx Store/3rd party software Use

I see 2 types of packages available for the server. WHAM and server.

Is there any documentation on how to implement the WebHost Application
Modules for the vsites?

Like Wordpress as a example using the WebApp Installer. (I'm not exactly
sure how that all works)

Is there a limit to how many webapps that can be installed on a vsite?

I appreciate any input you all may have. Sorry for the long post.

--
Thank you
David Hahn