[BlueOnyx:24328] Re: Moving 5106R to 5210R Aventurin{e} BlueOnyx Enterprise Edition (BOEE)

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Sep 22 02:45:55 -05 2020

Hi David,

> MariaDB & MySQL
>
> I see the 5210R has both in the GUI.

Not really. 5209R and 5210R have MariaDB. But for all practical
purposes: It's the same old wine in new bottles. You won't really notice
any difference. It works just the same and you can import MySQL
databases onto MariaDB without any issues.

> Do the BOEE web apps create a new MySQL by default or MariaDB when
> installed to the vsite,or could the install use the existing database
> that was created when configuring the vsite?

You can import the databases.

> Does Mariadb/Mysql GUI panels both use the admin/root password by default?

No, there is a separate root password for MariaDB. Same as with MySQL,
really: You set that password during initial web based configuration of
the server and later on you can change it in the MariaDB or MySQL GUI page.

> PHP
>
> I see that the 5210R will allow the site to use many versions of PHP,
> once installed.

Correct.

> What needs to be configured by the user to run a specific older version
> at run time?

Under "Server Management" / "Security" / "PHP" you can specify which PHP
versions are available to Vsites in general.

Then in the Vsite management under "PHP" you can choose the PHP
implementation:

- Disabled
- PHP (DSO)
- PHP (DSO) + mod_ruid2 (*)
- suPHP			(*)
- FPM/FastCGI		(*)

The once I marked with (*) then allow you to specify *which* version of
PHP you want to use for this Vsite.

However, the PHP versions marked with (*) also *require* that the Vsite
has at least one user that has the permission "Site Administrator" *and*
that this user is chosen as "SiteAdmin that owns /web:" under "Web
Ownership" of that Vsite.

PHP scripts will then be executed with the UID/GID of that user. Also:
Files and folders uploaded to the webspace should be uploaded as that
specific "Site Administrator". That will then avoid all access and
ownership issues that otherwise could arise.

> Could other scripts on the same vsite use another version as well?

No. All PHP scripts on a given Vsite use the same PHP version as the
rest of the scripts on that Vsite.

> PERL
>
> FYI: 5106R uses v5.8.8. The 5210R uses v5.26.3. I'm guessing not much
> changed.

Correct. For all practical purposes Perl isn't really picky about the
version number of Perl.

> SENDMAIL VS. POSTFIX
>
> If using postfix as MTA , can the user still use sendmail for their
> scripts or is there a better way?

That's correct. On CentOS 8 the OS uses a wrapper and scripts can still
use /usr/sbin/sendmail to send emails and the wrapper will then send
these emails with the MTA that's actually active.

> BlueOnyx Store/3rd party software Use
>
> I see 2 types of packages available for the server. WHAM and server.
>
> Is there any documentation on how to implement the WebHost Application
> Modules for the vsites?

Not really. It's self explaining and easy to figure out via the GUI.
Basically on a new server you install the "NewLinQ" PKG first. Then the
"WebApp Installer". Then any WHAM module you want to have.

The "WebApp Installer" handles deployments of WHAM modules to Vsites. In
any Vsite GUI under "Services" you then find the entry "Web
Applications" that allows you to deploy any given WHAM module into that
Vsite's webspace and perform tasks such as upgrades, backups and restores.

There is also a central menu under "Server Management" / "Web
Applications" from which you can modify the general settings of the
"WebApp Installer" and you can also use that for deployments.

> Is there a limit to how many webapps that can be installed on a vsite?

No. But each given WHAM module (or webapp) can only be installed once
into a given Vsite. So you can't use it to deploy two Wordpress installs
into the webspace of the same Vsite. But if you have (say) 20 different
WebApps, you can install all of them into the same Vsite. Just select
different sub-directories for each.